In partnership with CBSSports.com
You have no favorite boards.
The most viewed topics.
The most replied to topics.
The most up-voted topics.
The most down-voted topics.
The most up-voted posters.
The most down-voted posters.
The most followed posters.
* The new football video board is going to be HUGE - current configuration calls for it to be 103 feet across. HD. Contract goes out for bid soon. Will be for football and basketball boards as well as a totally new audio system. Total estimated tab: $7M, which is being picked up by IMG who will generate their own revenue through adds.
* Rector STILL houses one of the best tracks in the nation and plans are to make it even faster. This huge for recruiting. Teams from up and down the Eastern seaboard were in town competing: ACC, SEC, etc. Some of the best of the best. Pretty fun to watch.
* We are very lucky to have Coach Cianelli at Tech. Weaver might not have gotten all his hires right in the end, but this one was a home run. And the fact that Weaver has been able to keep him speaks volumes. For all you Hokies who decided to stop contributing to Tech because of football related issues, you end up hurting programs like track & field and wrestling too. Think about what you've done. If you're still bitter about football, redirect your donations to another athletic program instead - don't stop giving and hurting the school you (supposedly) love.
* Speaking of Weaver: He is recovering well from surgery to replace one of the rods in his back.
* Track & field gets it done in the classroom - 97% graduation rate.
* Fall semester all student-atheletes with a 3.0 GPA or higher: 47%. Pretty damn good.
* I wouldn't trade the Student Life and Academic support staff at Tech for any other schools.
* If you own a Mercedes sports car (not me!), you can create your own parking space and essentially park anywhere.
* Hotels in ATL for the AL game are being blocked out right now. Besidesthe football game that weekend, there's: baseball, NASCAR, and a COMICON-esque event similar to the last time we played them in an early season game.
* Scot Loeffler is one impressive speaker. And talking to him one on one you come away knowing that he is a very focussed, very intense person on a mission. Pro-style offense, two TE preference, dominating OL - he essentially wants to impose the offense's will on opposing Ds.
* Football players have no off season, rain or shine, cold or warm: a dozen+ players were pitching and catching on the practice field going against DBs.
* Coach Stinespring is a GREAT HOKIE! and one hell of a proud Dad. Yes people, coaches have families too.
* Basketball players, after going through a grinding game, are pretty resilient.
* There is only one Erick Green. Long live Erick Green.
* Blacksburg/Montgomery County still has its own weather pattern that defies logic even several decades since I've graduated.
* Walking the halls of the football facilities can lead to interesting conversations.
* We're off to a GREAT start in 2014 recruiting.
Thanks! Good stuff.
What is the width of the current football video board?
Dresser was also a home run hire although there was talk of shutting down the wrestling program. Weaver's non-rev hires have been good to very good....he needs to brush up on the bigger sports.
Cianelli's done a very good job.....kind of amazing though that he only has one Western Branch grad on the team (Jeffrey Artis-Gray). WB contends for the state championship every year (indoor and outdoor) and is a nationally recognized program. A few years back had ten of the top twenty hurdlers in the state.
Thanks for the info.
THE ONLY THING I'M ADDICTED TO IS WINNING--CHARLIE SHEEN
Great Sunday night update. Thanks for sharing. Just reminds everybody: now and forever, it is always a good time to be a Hokie!
So would the video boards be for the 2013-2014 season or 2014-2015?
2 people down voted this? One more and will have the total number of UVA fans that stand up to pee.
This post was edited by Jasonde3 17 months ago
Dang, they are giving UNC football a run for their money
Great updates GOHOKEE, thank you!
I don't think video board is going to be that big. The Wake Forest video board is only 92 feet long and ours won't even be close to that. Realistically, it'll be around 25% bigger than our current board. Cost will be $6.5 million for the entire operation (football, basketball, sound system, equipment, etc.) and IMG is only indirectly paying for it.
Upvote for you sir! I think you are giving our friendly rivals way too much credit though...
Using the Original Structure but Using all the area for the screen...plus a few more small ticker tape screens put up in Lane...
It's still not going to be 103 feet...or even close to that.
Jim did develop a blood clot after surgery and his Parkinson's seemed to get a tad worse but his back pain is gone.
Came right from the source - Tom Gabbard.
Some people won't believe it's raining till they step outside and get wet.
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference. Marines don't have that problem" Ronald Regan
Great post! Thanks.
Eh, say what you will but the new video board will only be 25 percent larger than the current video board. The current structure simply cannot house a board as big as Wake's, much less bigger.
Structures can be reinforced and expanded and the structure can hold a more than a 25 percent increase.
Ok...looked over some things this morning and what I was initially told seems to be a bit wrong. My apologies to GOHOKEE as what is now being proposed will truly be first class.
Okay, the size issue has been put to rest, can any answer the timing one?
Should be ready to go by the start of this upcoming season.
247Sports In partnership with CBS Sports